Friday, May 5, 2017

Obamacare Repeal Passed - What Does This Mean?

Since I'm focusing so much on health, I decided to share what I learned about the bill Congress passed last night to repeal Obamacare.

Though I once used to follow politics a little obsessively, I haven't really followed in years because it turns my stomach and thoroughly anger me. For my own health, I no longer pay attention, but am kept abreast by my roommate who does.

Today, I decided to do some research for my own understanding and the best way I determined was to go to Fox News as I believe they are Conservative in their reporting. If there are any good points to this new bill, I figured they'd point them out. Here is what I learned the bill will include:
  • Tax penalties eliminated for those without coverage;
  • Tax increases erased on higher-earning people and the health industry;
  • Medicaid cut for low-income people;
  • Subsidies transformed into tax credits;
  • Insurers could charge people with pre-existing conditions far higher rates than healthy customers;
  • Insurers could boost prices for older consumers to whatever they wish;
  • Insurers could ignore the mandate that they cover specified services like pregnancy care;
  • Ending coverage for 24 million people over a decade;
  • Subsidies would be less generous for many, especially lower-earning and older people;
  • Members of Congress and their staffs are no longer entitled to the same coverage requirements as the rest of us.
These words are not my own and are not my opinion. I am merely quoting from an article and you can read the full article at http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/04/obamacare-replacement-bill-approved-in-house.html .

Of course, now the bill needs to be passed through the Senate. People for the bill think it will pass unanimously. People against the bill think it will not pass unanimously. My favorite nonpartisan website (ProCon.org) hasn't posted anything on the bill or I'd share that, as well. 

My recommendation to you is that you do your own research. Don't blindly believe what your friends and family believe, but look to see both sides of the story before getting fired up (like I did this morning on Facebook; in my defense, if my Medicaid gets cut, I'm screwed).

To close, this information/debate/current issue only makes me more determined to heal myself with food and to share the life-saving info I'm learning with the rest of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment